Page 25 - MFM Nov 2014
P. 25

DeMolay Founder’s Cross
                              Reid Gardiner (3)

   The Founder's Cross is the rarest DeMolay honor         Hugh Cecil Sutherland – of Great Falls, Montana
ever given. It was only given by "Dad" Land to persons     received the Award on August 3, 1959 and was the
he desired to honor "for their personal, consistent        last recipient of the 135 Founder’s Cross. The award
and conspicuous loyalty to him." The jewel was to be       was not presented by DAD Land, but by Chandler
worn over the heart. This was not a Grand or Supreme       Cohagan in his place. The current location of the award
Council honor-- it was a personal expression of "Dad"      is unknown. Bro. Sutherland served as Chapter Advisor
Land's heartfelt gratitude. Exactly 135 were given out in  for Great Falls Chapter, which at one point, was the
his lifetime between 1937 and 1959, and they are never     largest Chapter in the world. Brother Sutherland was
to be issued again. Three Montana Masons received          born on October 28, 1894 in Chicago, IL, and died on
this Award.                                                June 19, 1969 in Great Falls, Montana. He was raised
Chandler Carroll Cohagen – of Billings Montana,            as a Master Mason on June 20, 1920 in Canal Zone
received the Award on October 15, 1937 in Seattle          No. 1, Ancan, C.Z., and affiliated with Cascade Lodge
Washington. The Jewel is on display at the Billings        No. 34, Great Falls, Montana on December 23, 1924.
Masonic Center. M.W. Bro. Cohagen was born on April        He served as Potentate of Algeria Shrine in 1955. By
24, 1889 in Pierson, IA and died on December 19, 1985.     occupation he was a Cashier.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Billing Lodge No.
113 on July 9, 1917 and was a Charter Member of the
Lodge where he served as W.M. in 1926. He was elected
Grand Master of Montana in 1951. He served as the
first Executive Officer for Montana DeMolay. He also
served as Grand Treasurer of DeMolay International.
By occupation he was as an Architect and was the lead
architect in the design of the Grand Lodge AF&AM
of Montana building. He studied architecture at the
University of Michigan College of Architecture, where
he was awarded the AIA school medal, graduating with
a Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Design
in 1915. Among Cohagen’s most well-known works
are the Masonic Grand Lodge in Helena (1936); the A.
V. McIver Deaconess Hospital of Billings (1950); the
Governor’s Mansion in Helena (1958); the Yellowstone
County Courthouse in Billings (1958); and the Central
Christian College in Billings (1961).

George Harold Hammer – of Billings, Montana,
received the Award on May 7, 1953 in Billings,
Montana. The current location of the award is
unknown. A DeMolay Chapter was named for him. He
served as Advisor for Montana DeMolay. The Great
Falls, Montana Chapter at one point, was the largest
Chapter in the world, and the Billings Chapter was the
third largest. Brother Hammer was born on February
20, 1904 in Gardner, MA; he died on June 9, 1965 in
Billings, Montana. He was raised as a Master Mason
on August 7, 1925 in Billings Lodge No. 113, Billings,
Montana. He was a member of the Scottish Rite, 33°.
He was an Elder of the First Presbyterian Church. By
occupation he was a bookkeeper and was employed
as an Accountant with the Montana-Dakota Utility

                                                           Page 25
   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30